During 1996-2000, a joint research program has been carried out by National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, and Odessa State Academy of Refrigeration (OSAR), Ukraine under supported by the National Science Council, ROC, Taiwan. The aim of this program is to improve the performance of ejector refrigeration system for commercial application.
The first task of the joint research program is the theoretical study for the ejector design. An 1-D analysis for the prediction of the ejector performance at critical-mode operation is developed. R141b was selected as the working fluid since R141b has a positive-slope saturated-vapor line in the thermodynamic T-s diagram.
The second task of the joint research program is to design an experimental system to test the cooling effect using ejectors in various designs with working fluid R141b. The test results are also used to derive an empirical correlation for the ejector design.
The third task of the joint research program is to seek for various applications of ejector refrigeration technologies.
Figure 1. Photograph of the ejector test rig
To verify the theoretical analysis of the ejector geometry and performance characteristics of the ERM using refrigerant R141b, an ejector test rig was designed and constructed. A photograph of the ejector test rig are shown in Figure 1. The ejector test rig equipment includes the following major components: an experimental ejector, a generator, an evaporator, a condenser, a subcooler, a recuperator, and a gear-type feed pump. Brazed plate heat exchangers were used in experimental ERM. The temperature and pressure signals are recorded by a YOKOGAWA hybrid recorder HR1300. All the measured data are transferred to a PC586 through a IEEE488 interface for data processing.
Figure 2. Photograph of the experimental ejector with replaceable nozzle and mixing chambers
A photograph of the experimental ejector assembly with two retrofract symmetrical suction inlet ducts is shown in Figure 2. The assembly of the ejector consists of the following main components: a body, an axially movable supersonic nozzle, and a cylindrical mixing chamber made jointly with the diffuser.
In order to carry out experimental investigations in wide range of operating conditions three supersonic nozzles and six cylindrical mixing chambers were designed and manufactured. The connection between the different parts is to standard specifications so that the parts are interchangeable.
Eleven ejectors with working fluid R141b was carried out in experiment to compare the analytical and test results. Obtained test results are used to derive an empirical correlation for the ejector design.
The main results of a theoretical and experimental investigation of the performance characteristics of an ejector and an ejector refrigeration machine operating with refrigerant R141b are presented in articles and abstracts on international conferences (see list below).
- Huang B.J., Chang J.M., Wang C.P., Petrenko V.O. A 1-D analysis of ejector performance // International Journal of Refrigeration. – 1999. – Vol. 22, Issue 5. – pp. 354-364.
- Huang B.J., Chang J.M. Empirical correlation for ejector design // International Journal of Refrigeration. – 1999. – Vol. 22, Issue 5. – pp. 379-388.
- Huang B.J., Petrenko V.O. A combined ejector cooling and hot water supply system using solar and waste-heat energy // Proceedings of Solar World Congress, ISES 1999. – July 4-9, 1999. – Jerusalem, Israel. – p. 140.
- Huang B.J., Petrenko V.O., Chang J.M., Hu S.S., Lee C.P. A study of ejector refrigeration system design for solar cooling application // Proceedings of VI World Renewable Energy Congress. – 1-7 July, 2000. – Brighton, UK.
- Huang B.J., Chang J.M., Petrenko V.O., Samofatov I.Y. A joint research on ejector cooling technology // 2nd International Workshop on Non-Compression Refrigeration & Cooling. – October 3-5, 2001. – Odessa, Ukraine.
- Petrenko V.O., Volovyk O.S. Theoretical investigation of ejector refrigeration machine operating with refrigerant R141b. J. Refrigeration Engineering and Technology, ¹2 (100), pp.19-30, 2006 (in Russian)
- Petrenko V.O., Volovyk O.S. Comparison of the experimental and theoretical performance characteristics of an ejector refrigeration machine operating with refrigerant R141b. Part 1. J. Refrigeration Engineering and Technology, ¹5 (103), pp.33-38, 2006 (in Russian).
- Petrenko V.O., Volovyk O.S. Comparison of the experimental and theoretical performance characteristics of an ejector refrigeration machine operating with refrigerant R141b. Part 2. J. Refrigeration Engineering and Technology, ¹6 (104), pp.29-35, 2006 (in Russian).